Aggie Basketball Game
Texas A&M (1-0;
0-0 SEC) vs. Troy (1-0; 0-0 Sun Belt)
November 12, 2012 ·
7:00 p.m. (CT)
TV: FSN (FSN
Southwest, FSN Southwest Plus or Fox College Sports)
-Check with your
cable provider for channel number/availability in your area
A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
1620 (College Station/Bryan)
at the door or online at tickets.12thManFoundation.com
Texas - Fresh off a victory to open the new season, the Texas A&M men's
basketball team returns to the court Monday night when it hosts Troy in a 7
p.m. contest at Reed Arena.
The contest will be televised by FSN on FSN Southwest,
FSN Southwest Plus or Fox College Sports depending on your cable provider.
Check your local listings or with your cable provider for availability in your
The Aggies (1-0) christened the 2012-13 campaign with a
71-59 victory over Louisiana Tech on Friday, marking the program's 12th
consecutive season-opening victory.
Senior guard Elston Turner picked up where he left off
last season when he led the Aggies in scoring by pacing A&M with 15 points against
the Bulldogs. The Sacramento, Calif., native, who late last week was selected
second team Preseason All-SEC by the league's coaches, was held to just two
points in the first half but broke out against the Bulldogs for 13 after
Newcomer Fabyon Harris enjoyed his A&M debut, as the
5-foot-11 guard scored 14 points on 4-of-9 shooting from the floor and a 5-of-7
mark from the free throw line. Three other Aggies joined Harris in making their
A&M debuts as Alex Caruso, J'Mychal Reese and Andrew Young each saw action against
Redshirt sophomore Kourtney Roberson, who was limited to
just nine games a year ago due to an injury, looked solid in his return to the
court. The 6-foot-9 forward finished with 12 points and six rebounds against
the Bulldogs and enjoyed the distinction of tallying the first A&M points
of the new season with a lay-up at the 17:49 mark of the first half.
The Trojans, meanwhile, also opened the new season with a
victory as they defeated Mississippi State 56-53 Friday night at Trojan Arena
in Troy, Ala. Head coach Don Maestri, who is in his 31st season
guiding the program, welcomes back three starters among four returning
letterwinners from last season's squad which went 10-18 and finished fifth in
the Sun Belt East.
Freshman forward Tevin Calhoun led Troy in scoring with
12 points against Mississippi State, while guard Emil Jones finished just short
of a double-double with 10 points and eight boards.
Texas A&M and Troy have never met on the hardwood,
but A&M floor general Billy Kennedy is familiar with the Trojans having
faced them five times while serving as the head coach at Centenary and
Tickets for Monday's game are available on game day at
Reed Arena or by logging onto tickets.12thmanfoundation.com.
Season tickets are also on sale and fans are encouraged
to make sure they have a seat for all the exciting Aggie basketball action by
visiting the 12th Man Foundation's Ticket
Center or calling 1-(888)-992-4443.
• The season-opening win over Louisiana Tech was Texas A&M's 12th consecutive season-opening win and 13th straight win in a home opener ... since 1945, A&M is 57-11 (.838) in home openers.
• Four Aggies made their A&M debut on Friday night (Alex Caruso, Fabyon Harris, J'Mychal Reese, Andrew Young).
• Senior Elston Turner led the Aggies in scoring with 15 points against the Bulldogs on Friday, including 13 in the second half ... It marked the 16th time he has led Texas A&M in scoring during the last two seasons.
• The Aggies return two starters (Elston Turner, Keith Davis) and nine total letterwinners (Daniel Alexander, Keith Davis, Jordan Green, Jarod Jahns, Grant Jolly, Blake McDonald, Elston Turner and Ray Turner) ... overall, A&M returns 50.7 percent of its scoring output from the 2011-12 campaign, highlighted by leading scorer Elston Turner, who averaged 13.8 points per game a year ago.
• The Texas A&M-Troy contest is part of the 2012 Edward Jones CBE Hall of Fame Classic ... the event will also saw the Aggies defeat LA Tech 71-59 on Friday night and next week the tournament's scene will shift to Kansas City's Sprint Center ... in KC, A&M will face Saint Louis on Nov. 19 in the CBE semifinals before facing Kansas or Washington State the next day.
• The Aggies are 101-10 (.910) all-time in non-conference games inside Reed Arena, which hosted its first basketball game in the fall of 1998.
• Texas A&M & Louisiana Tech have never met before on the hardwood, but the Aggies are 12-8 all-time against current members of the Sun Belt Conference.
• Head coach Billy Kennedy returners for his second season in Aggieland ... in his 15th overall season as a head coach, Kennedy owns a 226-197 (.533) career record ... The two-time Ohio Valley Coach of the Year has enjoyed success at previous head coaching positions at Murray State, Southeastern Louisiana and Centenary before taking his current position at A&M.
• Kennedy has faced Troy five times as head coach, holding a 2-1 record against the Trojans while at Centenary and splitting a pair of meetings vs Troy while coaching at Southeastern Louisiana.
2012 EDWARD JONES CBE HALL OF FAME CLASSIC
The Texas A&M men's basketball team has been selected to serve as an opening-round host for the 2012 CBE Hall of Fame Classic as announced by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.
Texas A&M, which will play four games during the course of the event, joins other host schools Kansas, Saint Louis and Washington State as the sites for the tournament's opening-round games, beginning on Nov. 9. Each team will play two games on campus before advancing to the championship rounds on Nov. 19-20 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.
Joining the four host schools in the 2012 CBE Hall of Fame Classic are Eastern Washington, Louisiana Tech, Santa Clara, Southeast Missouri State, Tennessee-Chattanooga, Troy, USC-Upstate and Utah Valley. Santa Clara and Tennessee-Chattanooga will serve as sub-hosts for games played November 18-23.
The Aggies will face Louisiana Tech to begin the event and kick off the 2012-13 season on their home court at Reed Arena on Nov. 9 before returning action Nov. 12 when A&M will play host to Troy.
ESPN Networks will broadcast the four championship round games. The semifinal doubleheader featuring Texas A&M and Saint Louis will be aired on ESPNU at 6:30 p.m. (CT), followed by Washington State and Kansas on ESPN2. The next evening, the consolation game will be shown on ESPN3 at 6:00 p.m. (CT), followed by the championship game on ESPNU.
Tickets for the championship round games at the Sprint Center are on sale and may be purchased through www.axs.com, www.sprintcenter.com, or www.cbehalloffameclassic.com, by phone at 1-888-929-7849 or in person at Sprint Center Box Office.
• Troy opened the season on Friday with a 56-53 home victory over Mississippi State.
• The Trojans are coming off a 10-18 season that saw them finish fifth in the Sun Belt East Division with a 5-11 league mark.
• The Bulldogs return four letterwinners and three starters - senior guard Justin Wright, who averaged 10.3 points per game a year ago, senior guard Emil Jones and junior guard R.J. Jones.
• Head coach Don Maestri is in his 31st season guiding the Trojan men's basketball program ...He's 489-383 all-time as a collegiate head coach.