Aggies Hoops Faces Auburn on the Road Wednesday
Aggie Basketball Game #26:
Texas A&M (15-10; 5-7 SEC) at Auburn (9-16; 3-9 SEC)
Feb. 20, 2013 · 7:00 p.m. (CT)
Auburn Arena (9,121)
LIVE STREAM: ESPN3
Mike Gleason, Play-by-Play
Daymeon Fishback, Commentary
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Al Pulliam, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
Satellite (Auburn Broadcast): Sirius (Ch. 135) / XM (Ch. 191)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: AggieAthletics.com
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - The Aggie men's basketball team is back in action on the road Wednesday night when it faces Auburn at 7 p.m. (CT) inside Auburn Arena.
The game will be streamed live on ESPN3 with Mike Gleason (play-by-play) and Daymeon Fishback (commentary) calling all the action. Live audio from the game can also be heard on the Texas A&M Radio Network by tuning in locally in Bryan/College Station on WTAW (1620 AM) or utilizing the live stream at AggieAtheltics.com.
The Aggies (15-10, 5-7 SEC) enter this week after splitting a pair of SEC games last week when they defeated Ole Miss at Reed Arena before falling on the road at Vanderbilt.
A&M's Elston Turner continues to be the team's offensive focal point as the Sacramento, Calif., native set a Reed Arena record (men's games only) with 37 points during last week's victory over Ole Miss. Turner scored 22 first half points while making his first eight shots of the ballgame before finishing 13-for-20 with a career-high seven 3-point baskets, a mark that fell just one short of the school record for 3-pointers in a game. His fade-away baseline jumper with 16 seconds left in the contest proved to be the deciding margin in A&M's 69-67 victory over the Rebels.
Turner was also solid during the contest in Nashville as he led the Aggies with 14 points to give him 46 games of double-digit points in 57 career games at Texas A&M.
Fellow senior Ray Turner was also a factor on the court last week as the forward from Houston pulled down a season-high 13 rebounds against the Rebels before scoring 10 points with five boards at Vandy.
Auburn, meanwhile, enters Wednesday's contest with a 9-16 overall record and a 3-9 mark in SEC play after falling at home to No. 7 Florida on Saturday, 83-52. The Tigers, who have dropped nine of their last 10 contests, will be looking to snap a three-game losing streak that began after their last victory, a 49-37 home win over Alabama on Feb. 6.
The Tigers are led on the court by senior guard Frankie Sullivan, who paces the squad and ranks fifth in the SEC with a 15.2 point per game average, and junior guard Chris Denson, who chips in 12.3 points per contest.
Auburn basketball is under the direction of head coach Tony Barbee, who is in his third season at the helm of the program and owns a 117-103 record in seven seasons as a head coach. Barbee spent four seasons at UTEP, earning 2010 Conference USA Coach of the Year honors, before taking over at Auburn.
TEXAS A&M-AUBURN SERIES NOTES
- Wednesday will be the sixth meeting between the Aggies and Tigers on the hardwood ... A&M owns a 3-2 edge in the all-time series.
- The first meeting between the schools came on Dec. 22, 1961, in Houston ... The Aggies prevailed with a 62-50 win.
- The schools most recently played a home-and-home series in back-to-back seasons with A&M winning 72-67 in College Station on Dec. 22, 2005, before earning a 87-58 victory in Auburn on Dec. 22, 2006.
- Texas A&M has never faced the Tigers at Auburn Arena, which seats 9,121 spectators and was opened in 2010.
- The Aggies hit the road this week for Auburn, Ala., where they will face Auburn on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. ... The game will be broadcast on ESPN3.
- Texas A&M and Auburn have met on the hardwood five previous times, most recently 87-58 Aggie win at Auburn on Dec. 22, 2006.
- In recent games, Texas A&M has faced the SEC's top two scorers (Georgia's Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Ole Miss' Marshall Henderson) and held the duo to a combined four made field goals ... During Feb. 9th's contest between the Bulldogs and Aggies in Athens, Caldwell-Pope was held without a field goal (0-for-3) for the first time during his collegiate career ... The Georgia sophomore was limited to just 10 points, all from the free throw line ... During last Wednesday's win over Ole Miss, A&M was able to hold Henderson, the league's leading scorer, to just 10 points on 4-for-11 shooting from the floor.
- As a team, the Aggies rank third in the SEC by limiting their opponents to 59.9 points per contest.
UP NEXT AFTER THE AUBURN GAME
Following the Auburn contest, the Aggies return to their home court on Saturday when they host Tennessee at Reed Arena ... The game will be broadcast by the SEC Network.