Aggie Men Host Unbeaten SFA Wednesday
Aggie Basketball Game #8:
Texas A&M (6-1; 0-0 SEC) vs. Stephen F. Austin (5-0; 0-0 Southland)
December 5, 2012 · 7:00 p.m. (CT)
Reed Arena (12,989)
College Station, Texas
TV: FSN (DirectTV - 679 / Dish Ntk - 422 or 437)
Ron Thulin, Play-by-Play
Jim Haller, Commentary
-Check with your cable provider for channel number/availability in your area
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Al Pulliam, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: AggieAthletics.com
TICKETS: Available at the door or online at tickets.12thManFoundation.com
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - The Texas A&M men's basketball team returns to Reed Arena Wednesday night to face unbeaten Stephen F. Austin in a 7 p.m. contest.
The Aggies (6-1) will put their three-game winning streak on the line against the Lumberjacks, who enter the contest with a perfect 5-0 record on the season.
FSN will televise the contest with Ron Thulin and Jim Haller calling all the action from Aggieland. Every Texas A&M basketball contest this season will be broadcast, marking a first in program history.
Wednesday marks the 22nd time the Aggies & Lumberjacks have squared off on the hardwood with A&M holding an 18-3 lead in the all-time series. Texas A&M has won each of the last 14 meetings with SFA, including last season's 55-42 win on Dec. 3 at Reed Arena.
Five current Aggies (Keith Davis, Jordan Green, Kourtney Roberson, Elston Turner, Ray Turner) have seen action during their careers against the 'Jacks with Elston Turner leading the way in last season's victory by pouring in a game-high 17 points.
SFA forward Taylor Smith paces the 'Jacks in scoring with an average of 15.2 points per game while shooting an impressive .673 from the floor and averaging a team-leading 8.4 rebounds per contest. Fellow senior Antonio Bostic has also been a contributor offensively for SFA by chipping in 10.4 points per game.
Head coach Danny Kaspar is in his 13th season at the helm of the SFA program and is 0-3 all-time against Texas A&M.
Tickets for Wednesday's game are available on game day at Reed Arena or by logging onto tickets.12thmanfoundation.com. Additionally, the contest is part of Texas A&M's Half-Price Holiday Hoops promotion. Visit the Reed Arena box office, the 12th Man Foundation's Ticket Center or call 1-(888)-992-4443 to purchase tickets or get more information.
HALF-PRICE HOLIDAY HOOPS
Don't miss your chance to catch a great deal to see all the Aggie basketball action this holiday season with our Half-Price Holiday Hoops promotion.
Including in the promotion are men's games against Stephen F. Austin (Dec. 5), Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Dec. 18), Southern (Dec. 22), Army (Dec. 29), Houston Baptist (Jan. 4) and Arkansas (Jan. 9). Additionally, women's games against Louisiana Tech (Dec. 4), TCU (Dec. 8), Prairie View A&M (Dec. 28), Rice (Jan. 1), Alabama (Jan. 3) and Auburn (Jan. 13) are also part of the promotion.
Visit the Reed Arena box office, the 12th Man Foundation's Ticket Center or call 1-(888)-992-4443 to purchase tickets or get more information.
- The Aggies return to the friendly confines of Reed Arena, where they are a perfect 4-0 this season and 104-10 (.912) all-time in non-conference games since the arena opened during the fall of 1998.
- Seniors Elston Turner and Ray Turner have been steady performers for the Aggies and each is coming off his best statistical game of the season during Saturday's win over Houston ... Elston tied a career high with 26 points vs the Cougars by converting 10-of-21 field goal attempts, including four from beyond the 3-point arc, while Ray notched his fifth career double-double with 14 points and a game-high 11 rebounds.
- RS Sophomore Kourtney Roberson is rounding back into form after missing most of last season with a broken ankle ... the 6-foot-9 forward has pulled down 29 rebounds during his last three games to raise his team-leading average to 6-9 per contest.
- Stephen F. Austin enters Wednesday's contest with a perfect 5-0 on the season after defeating San Diego 56-51 on Saturday during its last outing ... overall on the season, SFA is outscoring its opponents by a margin of 24.6 points per game and limiting foes to an average of just 44.2 points per game.
- Senior forward Taylor Smith paces the 'Jacks in scoring with an average of 15.2 points per game, including a game-high 18 during the victory over San Diego ... Smith is shooting an impressive .673 from the floor while averaging a team-leading 8.4 rebounds per contest ... Fellow senior Antonio Bostic has also been a contributor offensively for SFA, chipping in 10.4 points per game.
- Head coach Danny Kaspar is in his 13th season at the helm of the SFA program, holding a 224-136 record at the school and a 443-189 overall mark in 21 years as a head coach ... Kaspar is 0-3 all-time against Texas A&M.
REED ARENA SUCCESS
- A&M is 61-12 at Reed Arena since the start of the 2008-09 season with a 22-11 mark in conference games.
- The Aggies are 95-17 (.848) at home since the start of the 2006-07 season and are 128-22 (.852) since the start of the 2004-05 campaign.
- A&M has won 43 of its last 48 home games against unranked opponents (15 of last 19 in conference play).
- A&M is 169-63 (.728) in 14 seasons at Reed Arena ... the Aggies were 41-41 the first six years at Reed and are 125-22 since.
- Texas A&M went 8-1 in non-conference games at Reed Arena in 2011 ... the Aggies are 104-10 (.912) all-time in non-conference games inside the facility, which hosted its first basketball game in the fall of 1998 ... a loss to Rice on Dec. 22 snapped A&M's 67-game non-conference home win streak at Reed Arena (which dated back to the start of the 2005-06 season) and 80-game regular-season, non-conference home win streak (which dated back to 2003), both school records.
HEAD COACH BILLY KENNEDY
- Billy Kennedy was named the 21st coach in Texas A&M men's basketball history on May 16, 2011 ... he is a native of New Orleans and has spent 14 seasons as a head coach, with a record of 230-198 ... over the last three seasons, his teams have combined to post a record of 74-33.
- Over his last eight years as a head coach, Kennedy's teams have averaged 20 wins a season, earned four conference titles and made three trips to the postseason-two to the NCAA Tournament and one in the NIT ... in addition, the Murray State squad which he built before heading to College Station finished the 2012 season 31-2, won the Ohio Valley title at 15-1 and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Kennedy's veteran staff in Aggieland has a combined 94 years of collegiate coaching experience and over the last 11 years has been a part of 18 conference titles and 22 postseasons (15 NCAA, 7 NIT).