June 21, 2011
- Texas A&M concludes its season at 47-22 ... the Aggies finish the year as Big 12 Regular Season Champions, Big 12 Tournament Champs, NCAA College Station Regional Champs and NCAA Tallahassee Super Regional Champs ... A&M wrapped up its fifth trip to the College World Series, and first since 1999, on Tuesday.
- The 47 wins are the sixth most in a single season in school history (record 58, 1989) ... it marks the second-highest total under Rob Childress (48 in 2007).
- A&M played 69 games in 2011, one shy of the school record (70 in 1999).
- The Aggies made their fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance in 2011, a school record.
- A&M finished the season with the second-highest fielding percentage in school history (.9753) ... the school record is .9754, set in 2005.
- Aggie pitching's season ERA of 2.90 is the third best in school history and the best in 21 years (2.80 in 1990 and 2.83 in 1979).
- A&M pitchers tossed 626.2 innings in 2011, a school record.
- Aggie pitching fanned 8 Cal batters on the afternoon, matching the school's College World Series single-game record (8 vs Kansas, 1993).
- Junior 3B Adam Smith's fourth inning home run came on a 1-0 pitch and hit the back wall of the left-field bullpen ... it was Smith's seventh home run of the season, tying him for the team lead (Matt Juengel) ... the long ball was the 26th of Smith's career and his third of the 2011 NCAA Tournament (vs Seton Hall, June 4; at Florida State, June 13) ... it was just the third home run hit in this year's CWS in the tournament's seventh game.
- Smith's long ball was the fifth for an Aggie in College World Series history and the first since Shawn Schumacher's home run against Florida State in 1999.
- Smith matched a school CWS record with 2 runs scored on the day.
- Sophomore P Michael Wacha fanned 5 hitters on the afternoon, bringing his season total to 123 ... that ties him for No. 8 all-time on the A&M single-season charts with Chance Caple (1999).
- Wacha became the youngest Aggie pitcher to start a College World Series game since 1993, when Trey Moore (also a sophomore) got the nod against LSU.
- Senior C Kevin Gonzalez tied a career high with 3 hits on the day ... it was one shy of the A&M College World Series record for hits in a game, set by Hollis Baker (4) against Utah in 1951.
- For Gonzalez, it was his 11th multi-hit game of the season and team-leading 52nd of his career ... the Houston native finished his career with 215 knocks.
- Senior P Nick Fleece extended his school record appearances to 36 with a flawless ninth.
- Sophomore RF Tyler Naquin picked up a ninth-inning single, his 104th of the season ... it is the fourth-highest total in school history and three shy of the school record (107, Jason Tyner, 1998).
- Sophomore LF Brandon Wood extended his hit streak to 5 games with a fifth-inning single ... Wood's two-hit effort was his eighth multi-hit game of the season.
- Freshman CF Krey Bratsen posted his 27th multi-hit game of the season.
- Cal now leads the all-time series with Texas A&M, 3-2 ... Tuesday marked the first meeting between the schools since 1992.
- June 21st is the latest baseball game in school history ... the previous high (prior to this year's CWS) was June 14, 1999.
- Game-time temperature was 69 degrees with overcast skies ... winds were from the southwest at 22 miles per hour, gusting to 29 (right to left).