Aggie Basketball Game #1:
Buffalo at Texas A&M
Nov. 8, 2013 · 7:00 p.m. (CT)
Reed Arena (12,989)
College Station, Texas
LIVE WEBSTREAM (PREMIUM): AggieAthletics.com
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Al Pulliam, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: AggieAthletics.com
LIVE MOBLIE LIVE STATS: tamustats.com
TICKETS: Available at the door or online at tickets.12thManFoundation.com
COLLEGE STATION – Basketball season is back in Aggieland as the Texas A&M men’s basketball team tips off its 2013-14 season Friday at 7 p.m. against Buffalo inside Reed Arena.
The game will not be televised but fans who can’t make it to Aggieland for the event can follow the action with a live video stream (available to premium subscribers of 12th Man TV) and a free live audio stream. Log on to aggieathletics.com to access the video and audio stream.
Additionally, Friday’s game will be Military Appreciation Night and all current or former military members receive two FREE tickets with promo code.
The Aggies enter the year looking to take another step forward in their third season under the direction of head coach Billy Kennedy. Kennedy and his staff welcome back six letterwinners from last season’s 18-win squad, including senior guard Fabyon Harris, who averaged over 13 points per game during SEC play a year ago and ranked among the conference leaders in 3-point field goal percentage (.453).
During its dress rehearsal for the start of the new campaign the Aggies defeated UTPB in exhibition action last Wednesday at Reed Arena. Texas A&M featured four players in double figure scoring against the Falcons, led by Harris who notched 13 points on 6-of-11 shooting.
Harris was joined in double-digit scoring by junior guard Jamal Jones, who chipped in 11 points along with six rebounds.
The new look Aggies featured their improved athleticism during the exhibition victory by tallying a fourth of their total points with fast-paced transition game.
Buffalo comes to Reed Arena as an experienced and talented squad that features seven returning letterwiners and four starters back from last season’s squad. Highlighting the Bulls’ roster is All-Mid American Conference performer Javon McCrea who averaging 18 points and 7.9 rebounds per contest last season.
Roaming the sidelines in his first year as Buffalo head coach will be Bobby Hurley, who is best known by many college basketball fans for his playing days at Duke where he helped guide the Blue Devils to three Final Four appearances and consecutive national championships in 1991 and 1992.
• The Aggies have won 12 straight season-opening games and 13 straight home openers ... A&M is playing its season opener at home for the 13th consecutive year.
• November 8th marks the earliest start to a season in school history ... previously, Nov. 9th has been the earliest start day for Aggie basketball ... the 2007-08, 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons each began on Nov. 9.
• The Aggies return three starters (Alex Caruso, Fabyon Harris and Kourtney Roberson) and six total letterwinners (Caruso, Jordan Green, Harris, Blake McDonald, J-Mychal Reese and Roberson) ... overall, A&M returns 51.8 percent of its scoring output from the 2012-13 campaign, highlighted by second-leading scorer Fabyon Harris, who averaged 12.0 points per game a year ago.
• The Aggies are 108-11 (.908) all-time in non-conference games inside Reed Arena, which hosted its first basketball game in the fall of 1998.
• Texas A&M & Buffalo have never met on the hardwood ... all-time, the Aggies are 6-6 against current members of the Mid-American Conference.
• Head coach Billy Kennedy returns for his third season in Aggieland ... in his 16th overall season as a head coach, Kennedy owns a 243-212 (.534) career record ... The two-time Ohio Valley Coach of the Year has enjoyed success at previous head coaching positions at Murray State, Southeastern Louisiana and Centenary before taking his current position at A&M.
• Kennedy has never faced Buffalo as a head coach.
• Buffalo is coming off a 14-20 season that saw it finish fourth in the East Division of the Mid-American Conference with a 7-9 league mark ... The experienced team was picked second in the MAC East Division by a media panel that covers the league.
• The Bulls return seven letterwinners and four starters - Senior forward Javon McCrea (6-7, 250), senior guard Jarod Oldham (6-3, 185), junior forward Will Regan (6-8, 230) and sophomore guard Jarynn Skeete (6-3, 175) ... Javon McCrea was a first-team All-MAC selection a year ago after averaging 18 points and 7.9 rebounds per contest ... In addition to McCrea, junior forward Will was named to the preseason All-MAC East team.
• Buffalo also welcomes five newcomers to the mix, with four eligible to compete immediately.
• First-year head coach Bobby Hurley takes over the reins of the program after serving most recently as associate head coach at Rhode Island ... Hurley is best known by many college basketball fans for his playing days at Duke where he helped guide the Blue Devils to three Final Four appearances and consecutive national championships in 1991 and 1992.
SERIES HISTORY BUFFALO (FIRST MEETING)
• Friday marks the first time the Aggies & Bulls have squared off on the hardwood.
• A&M head coach Billy Kennedy has also never faced Buffalo in either of his previous head coaching stops at Murray State, Southeastern Louisiana or Centenary.
• Texas A&M has faced current members of the Mid-American Conference just 12 times in its basketball history and holds a 6-6 all-time record vs. the league. The most recent meeting between the Aggies and a MAC school came on Dec. 4, 2009, when A&M defeated Akron 74-62 at Reed Arena.
• Conversely, Buffalo is 0-5 all time vs Southeastern Conference teams, having most recently face an SEC squad on Dec. 11, 1976, when the Bulls lost at Georgia.
AGGIE BASKETBALL SEASON TICKETS
An affordable option for the whole family, season tickets begin as low as $100 and feature new pricing options for men’s games. To order season tickets or to get more information, contact the 12th Man Foundation by phone at 888-992-4443 or online at www.12thManFoundation.com.
MOBILE LIVE STATS
Fans can access official live statistics on their mobile devices of all Texas A&M basketball home games and select road games by visiting tamustats.com
2013-14 TEXAS A&M MEN’S BASKETBALL MEDIA GUIDE
Fans can get a deeper look at the 2013-14 Aggie basketball team with this season’s media guide. The guide features in-depth player and coach profiles, a 2012-13 season in review, a look at this year’s opponents, program records and an overview of the history of Aggie basketball.
Check out the 2013-14 Texas A&M Men’s Basketball Media Guide