TEXAS A&M, 82-73
(avail 11:30 PM CT)
(avail 11:30 PM CT)
NOTE: Full and condensed replays are available after 11:30 p.m. (CT) per SEC regulations.
OXFORD, Miss. (AP) -- Marshall Henderson scored 18 points,Murphy Holloway added 16 and Mississippi beat Texas A&M 82-73 Wednesday night.
Ole Miss (21-7, 10-5 Southeastern Conference) earned another crucial win as it tries to solidify a case for the NCAA tournament. The Rebels haven't been to the Big Dance since 2002 - the longest drought in the SEC.
Henderson hit five of his six 3-pointers in the second half to help the Rebels pull away after leading 37-31 at halftime. Jarvis Summers scored 15 points and Reginald Buckner added 12 points and three blocked shots.
Elston Turner led Texas A&M (16-12, 6-9) with 25 points. Turner had another good game against Ole Miss, hitting 10 of 17 shots from the field just two weeks after scoring 37 against the Rebels in a win at College Station. The son of former Ole Miss star Elston Turner Sr., the 6-foot-5 senior had 12 points in the first half alone to keep the game close.
The Rebels played with an edge reminiscent of their early season success, with Henderson hitting 3-pointers and screaming, Holloway getting easy buckets on dunks and Buckner patrolling the paint with big blocks and rebounds.
Texas A&M jumped out to an early 12-5 lead after a 3-pointer by Turner with 15:33 remaining, but Ole Miss fought back to eventually take a 37-31 halftime lead.
The Rebels got some good minutes early from their young and inexperienced bench. Anthony Perez had five points and Martavious Newby added three more in the first half, but Perez was hurt while going for a rebound in the second half and didn't return.
Ole Miss slowly pulled away in the second half. Henderson and Summers hit back-to-back 3-pointers and then Nick Williams made a putback after a free throw to give the Rebels a 53-42 lead with 12:41 left.
Ole Miss led by as many as 18 in the second half. Texas A&M pulled within 76-67 with 1:44 left, but ran out of time to make a serious run.
Henderson didn't have a great shooting night, making just 6 of 19 shots from the field, including 6 of 13 from 3-point range. But his good shots came during a crucial run that turned a tight game into a fairly easily win.
Ole Miss shot 29 of 57 (50.9 percent) from the field. Texas A&M shot 30 of 56 (53.6 percent) from the field, but had 16 turnovers.
Fabyon Harris scored 17 points off the bench for the Aggies. Kourtney Roberson added 12 points and 10 rebounds.
Texas A&M Men's Basketball
Ole Miss 82, Texas A&M 73
Feb. 27, 2013 ● Tad Smith Arena
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M saw its record fall to 16-12 on the year with a 6-9 mark in SEC play.
● Ole Miss, meanwhile, improved to 21-7 this season with a 10-5 SEC record.
● Ole Miss led 37-31 at halftime.
● The Aggies shot 30-of-56 (53.6 percent) from the floor, compared to 50.9 percent for the Rebels (29-of-59).
● The Rebels made 10 3-pointers in the game, including six during the second half ... A&M went 9-of-20 from beyond the arc.
● Senior guard Elston Turner led all scorers with 25 points in the contest on 10-of-17 shooting ... it marked the sixth time Turner has scored 25 or more points this season.
● Sophomore forward Kourtney Roberson notched his second career double-double, finishing with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
● Freshman Alex Caruso collected one steal to tie the Texas A&M single season freshman steals record with 56 ... he shares the record with Todd Holloway, who played for Texas A&M from 1984-87.
● Caruso also tied a career-high with eight assists in the contest to give him a team-leading 100 for the season.
● The Aggies return home to Reed Arena to face South Carolina on Saturday ... the game will be televised by ESPNU.
● Ole Miss, meanwhile, hits the road to face Mississippi State in Starkville on Saturday.