AUSTIN, Texas - In yet another close match, the No. 17-ranked Texas Longhorns defeated the No. 27-ranked Texas A&M Aggies, 4-3, in the State Farm Lone Star Showdown held at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin late Saturday.
This marked the third straight 4-3 loss for A&M.
"This can be a cruel sport," Aggie head coach Steve Denton said. "We played from behind the whole night when we dropped the close doubles point. There is no quit in this team and they kept battling all night and gave great effort. We just have to capitalize and take advantage of opportunities when we have them. In the final match on the courts, Niall (Angus) was very close but could not close it out. We'll bounce back and get ready for Baylor on Wednesday and then prepare for the Big 12 Championships at our place."
The Horns would win the all-important doubles point clinching the point at No. 1 doubles in a very close, 9-7 win by No. 26-ranked duo of Chris Camillone and David Holiner against A&M's No. 41-ranked tandem of Junior Ore and Jackson Withrow.
Texas would extend the lead to 3-0 after the first two singles matches were in the books with wins at No. 1 and No. 4 singles. The Aggies continued to fight with senior co-captain No. 31 Alexis Klegou notching a 7-6 (4), 6-2 straight sets victory at No. 2 singles over No. 99 Daniel Whitehead.
The next two matches would go three sets with Aggie seniors John Lewis and Colin Hoover both dropping the first set but bouncing back to win the next two sets. Lewis, ranked No. 115, defeated Lloyd Glasspool, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 5 line and Hoover, a co-captain for A&M, took a 2-6, 7-6 (6), 6-2 victory over Sudanwa Sitaram at the No. 3 line to square the match.
The deciding match was also a three-set affair as Niall Angus from A&M battled Ben Chen of Texas. Chen took the first set, 6-2, but Angus battled back to take the second set, 6-3. The third set when to Chen, 7-5, and the Horns won the match to move to 16-7 on the year and 2-2 in Big 12 play. A&M falls to 12-12 on the year and 1-3 in Big 12 action.
The Aggies close out the regular season at home this Wednesday (Apr. 18) against Baylor with first serve set for 6 p.m. at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center.
No. 17 Texas 4, No. 27 Texas A&M 3
Doubles | Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. #26 Chris Camillone/David Holiner (UT) def. #41 Junior Ore/Jackson Withrow (A&M) 9-7
2. #69 Ben Chen/Daniel Whitehead (UT) def. Niall Angus/John Lewis (A&M) 8-4
3. Colin Hoover/Alexis Klegou (A&M) def. Soren Hess-Olesen/Jacoby Lewis (UT) 9-8 (5)
Singles | Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6*
1. #77 Soren Hess-Olesen (UT) def. Junior Ore (A&M) 7-6 (4), 6-3
2. #31 Alexis Klegou (A&M) def. #99 Daniel Whitehead (A&M) 7-6 (4), 6-2
3. Colin Hoover (A&M) def. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) 2-6, 7-6(6), 6-2
4. David Holiner (UT) def. Jeremy Efferding (A&M) 6-2, 6-4
5. #115 John Lewis (A&M) def. Lloyd Glasspool (UT) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Ben Chen (UT) def. Niall Angus (A&M) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5