Womenís Tennis Defeats Fresno State, 5-2
The Aggies, who were returning to the courts for the first time since defeating LSU on Feb. 5, got off to a good start as they swept the doubles competition for the second time this season. A&M's Sheri Olivier and Lauren Santacroce never trailed en route to an 8-5 victory over Bianca Modoc and Laura Pola at the No. 3 line.
Janelle Cuthbertson, who returned to the lineup after suffering an injury against Ole Miss in the season opener, teamed with Nazari Urbina at the No. 2 line and helped clinch the doubles point for A&M. The Aggie duo trailed 5-4 but won four of the next five games to close out an 8-6 win against Aishwarya Agrawal and Olga Kirpicheva and give A&M the 1-0 lead.
Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar and Wen Sun completed the sweep as they also came back from a 6-5 deficit to win, 8-6, against Marianne Jodoin and Tanya Murtagh at the No. 1 line.
No. 14th-ranked Sanchez-Quintanar continued her winning ways in singles, improving to 4-0 on the year and giving the Aggies a 2-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Agrawal at the No. 2 court.
Sun followed with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over McQueen at No. 3 singles to put the Aggies ahead, 3-0. Cuthbertson then clinched the winning point for A&M with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Murtagh at the No. 5 line as the Aggies took a 4-0 lead.
Jodoin, ranked No. 49, put the Bulldogs (2-5) on the scoreboard, topping Urbina, 7-6 (5), 6-1, at the No. 1 line. Modoc then scored Fresno State's final point and handed Santacroce her first singles loss of the season with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 victory at the No. 4 court.
Janine Erasmus capped the victory for the Aggies, winning the first set, 6-2, against Anne Susdorf and overcoming a 5-3 deficit to win the second set, 7-6 (4).
The Aggies conclude their season-opening five-match road swing at No. 27 Washington on Sunday. The match begins at 1 p.m. (CT) at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle. The Huskies are 4-1 entering a home match against Portland on Saturday.
Live scoring will be available at AggieAthletics.com
No. 31 Texas
A&M 5, Fresno State 2
February 17, 2012
Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center
1. (#49) Marianne Jodoin (FS) def. Nazari Urbina (TAMU), 7-6 (5), 6-1
2. (#14) Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (TAMU) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS), 6-3, 6-0
3. (#86) Wen Sun (TAMU) def. Melissa McQueen (FS), 6-3, 6-1
4. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Lauren Santacroce (TAMU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
5. Janelle Cuthbertson (TAMU) def. Tanya Murtagh (FS), 6-2, 6-2
6. Janine Erasmus (TAMU) def. Anne Susdorf (FS), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
Doubles (A&M wins
1. Sanchez-Quintanar/Sun (TAMU) def. Jodoin/Murtagh (FS), 8-6
2. Cuthbertson/Urbina (TAMU) def. Agrawal/Kirpicheva (FS), 8-6
3. Sheri Olivier/Santacroce (TAMU) def. Modoc/Laura Pola (FS), 8-5
Order of finish
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 2, 3, 5*, 1, 4, 6
* - Clinched match
Texas A&M: 3-1
Fresno State: 2-5